Common Cause of AutoInvest Not Executing
These are some situations that might cause AutoInvest to not be able to execute strategy signals successfully:
- Problem with AutoInvest Application Settings
AutoInvest application needs to run normally in your VM. It might fail to execute signals if any of these happens:
1. AutoInvest is closed, logged out or stopped running in your VM for any reason.*
2. AutoInvest is not connected or has lost the connection to your brokerage account. In the case of IB, you also have to make sure that your IB Gateway has been set up properly and is running in your VM.
3. AutoInvest status is not turned on.
- Market Liquidity and Slippage
Market price has moved (slippage) after signal is generated but before AutoInvest placed an order for you. Market liquidity is also an important element to influence the magnitude of slippage.
When setting up your strategy, you can customize the slippage settings. Please click here for further explanation on slippage and slippage settings.
Your slippage setting dictates whether current market price is still within acceptable threshold compared to strategy signal price. If it falls outside the threshold, AutoInvest will not execute the signal.
- Problematic Account Settings
Some settings on your brokerage account might prevent AutoInvest from trading. For example:
1. You do not turn on the specific trading permissions for your IB account. Please refer to How to Setup IB Trading Permission? article. This is especially important for robots that trade US stocks.
2. You need to complete some forms in your brokerage platform, e.g: new terms and conditions, new questionnaire, acknowledgement on new trading requirement, etc.
3. Your capital is insufficient to open up any trades. Do note that IB MARGIN account will require minimum 2000 USD (approx 3500 SGD) to trade.
4. Your account type is CASH and you are trading in stock denominated in different currency. e.g. USD trading in SGD account. Refer to How to upgrade to Margin Account article to resolve.
5. You need to confirm your mobile number and fill in your tax information.
6. There are more than one instance of AutoInvest application running.
- Other Software Issues
In some rare circumstances, AutoInvest application might crash / IB Gateway may be timing out. We have a monitoring system in place to notify you when such situation arises. However, in some situations we will still need your cooperation to redo the login flow or brokerage connection flow.
How do I follow up my missed signal execution by myself?
Please refer to this article:
How do I follow up a missing AutoInvest signal execution?